Immigration Law

photo 5

Ching Law Firm represents a diverse client base ranging from individuals to multinational businesses in their immigration related matters.  We provide comprehensive immigration services that include family reunification, citizenship, adoption, skilled and professional workers, investors and consular processing for waiver, immigrant and non-immigrant visas.

US immigration law is complicated, and is subject to constant legislative changes.  Many people experience that even minor mistakes or failures can have serious consequences on their eligibility for future immigration benefits.   Having an experienced attorney to guide you through this long and stressful process can mean the difference between a successful outcome and the denial of immigration benefits.


Types of Visas

  • Immigrant Visas
  • Non-Immigrant Visas

Immigrant Visas

Family Based Immigrant Visa
Immediate relative

  • Spouses of U.S. Citizens
  • Minor Children of U.S. Citizens
  • Parents of U.S. citizens

First Preference

  • U.S. Citizens’ unmarried sons and daughters (over 21) and their children

Second Preference

  • Spouses and minor children of U.S. lawful permanent residents (green card holders)
  • U.S. lawful permanent resident’s unmarried sons and daughters (over 21) and their children

Third Preference

  • U.S. citizens’ married sons and daughters (regardless of age) and their children

Fourth Preference

  • Brothers and sisters (and their spouses and children) of U.S. citizens, 21 years of age or over

Employment Based Immigrant Visas
First Preference – Priority Worker

  • Alien with “extraordinary ability” in sciences, arts, education, business or athletics, whose ability have been demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim
  • Outstanding professors and researchers – recognized internationally as outstanding in a specific academic area with at least 3 years of experience in teaching and researching in the academic area
  • Multinational executives and managers
  • Employed for 1 year (in last of 3 years) by a “firm or corporation or other legal entity or an affiliate of subsidiary thereof”
  • Seek to enter U.S. in order to continue to render services to the same employer

Second Preference – Professional with advanced degrees and aliens with exceptional ability

  • Professionals holding advanced degrees (Master degree or above) “or their equivalent” (at least 5 years of professional experience in the profession)
  • Alien with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business that will substantially benefit prospectively the national economy, cultural, or welfare of the U.S.

Third Preference – Professionals, skilled workers and other workers

  • Professionals – Aliens with baccalaureate degrees and who are members of the professions
  • Skilled workers – Jobs requiring two years’ training
  • Other workers – Unskilled workers

Fourth Preference – Special immigrant

  • Person seeking reacquisition of citizenship
  • Religious workers
  • U.S. employee abroad for 15 years
  • Panama Canal Treaty employees
  • Certain foreign medical graduates
  • Certain commuters from border
  • Certain retired officers of international organizations, and their spouses and unmarried sons and daughters
  • Certain returning residents
  • Certain children declared dependents by juvenile courts

Fifth Preference: Employment Creation Investors

  • Any alien who make an investment of $500,000 in rural or high unemployment area or $1 million in any area after November 29, 1990.

Back to Top

U.S. Non-Immigrant Visas

A-1 Ambassador, public minister, career diplomat or consular officer, and immediate family
A-2 Other foreign government official or employee, and immediate family
A-3 A-1 or A-2 alien’s attendant, servant, or personal employee, and immediate family
B-1 Temporary visitor for business
B-2 Temporary visitor for pleasure
C-1 Alien in transit
C-2 Alien in transit to United Nations headquarters District under Headquarters Agreement
C-3 Foreign government official, immediate family, attendant, servant, or personal employee, in transit
D Crew member (sea or air)
E-1 Treaty trader, spouse, and children (under a “treaty of commerce and navigation” U.S. has with alien’s country)
E-2 Treaty investor, spouse, and children
F-1 Student attending academic institution
F-2 Spouse or children of F-1 student
G-1 Principal resident representative of recognized foreign member government to international organization, immediate family, and staff
G-2 Other representative of recognized foreign member government to international organization, and immediate family
G-3 Representative of unrecognized or nonmember foreign government to international organization, and immediate family
GA International organization officer or employee, and immediate family
G-5 G-1, G-2, G-3, or GA Alien’s attendant, servant, or personal employee and immediate family
H-1A Temporary worker performing services as registered nurse
H-1B Temporary worker performing services in “specialty occupation”
H-2A Temporary worker performing agricultural labor or services of a temporary or seasonal nature
H-2B Temporary worker performing other temporary services or labor
H-3 Trainee
HA Spouse or children of alien classified H-1, H-2, or H-3 representative of foreign information media, spouse, and children
J-1 Exchange visitor
J-2 Spouse or children of exchange visitor
K-1 Fiance or fianc of U.S. citizen
K-2 Children of fiance or fiance of U.S. citizen
L-1 Intra-company transferee
L-2 Spouse or children of alien classified L-1
M-1 Student in vocational or other recognized non-academic institution
N-8 Parent of children classified as special immigrant
N-9 Children of parent classified as special immigrant
O-1 Alien with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics
O-2 Aliens assisting in athletic or artistic performance of O-1 aliens
O-3 Spouse or children of O-1, O-2 aliens
P-1 Internationally recognized entertainers and athletes
P-2 Artist or entertainer performing under exchange program
P-3 Artist or entertainer performing under a culturally unique program
PA Spouse or children of P-1, P-2, P-3 aliens
Q Participant in international culture exchange program
R Religious workers and their spouses and children

Please consult the number (504) 525-8810 or send an email to for your specific case.

Back to Top